Status: Retired Texas licensed and ABCP-Certified Clinical Perfusionist (Emeritus) with interest in history, standards, mechanical circulatory support, and risk management
Education: Bachelor of Arts, Bloomfield College, Bloomfield, NJ (1971)
- Trained on-the-job and staff perfusionist at Penn State University, Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA (1971-1977)
- Chief Perfusionist and faculty member, Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX (1977-present)
- Author and editor or editorial board member (100+ articles, 28 book chapters, 4 books; see selected citations pg. 2)
- Member, AAMI and Convener ISO Technical Committees and Working Groups (Blood gas exchange devices, circulatory support systems) (1995-2016)
- Kurusz, M., Zwischenberger, J.B. Logistics of an ECMO Programme. Perfusion 6:175-181, 1991.
- Kurusz, M.: Standards of Practice in Perfusion. Perfusion 9:211-215, 1994.
- Kurusz, M, Butler, B.D., Katz, J., Conti, V.R.: Air Embolism during Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Perfusion 10:361-391, 1995.
- Kurusz, M., Conti V.R. and Davis, R.F. Conduct of Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Ch. 22 in Cardiopulmonary Bypass and Mechanical Support, Principles and Practice, 4th Edition, Gravlee, G.P., Davis, R.F., Hammon, J.W., Kussman, B.D. (Eds), Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, pp 529-556, 2016.
- Kurusz, M., Davis, R.F. and Mills, N.L. Management of Unusual Problems Encountered during Procedures that Require Use of Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Ch. 24 in Cardiopulmonary Bypass and Mechanical Support, Principles and Practice, 4th Edition, Gravlee, G.P., Davis, R.F., Hammon, J.W., Kussman, B.D. (Eds), Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, pp 569-602, 2016.